January 25, 2013

Treasure Hunt [Revamped]

A few months ago, I shared my finds from the Melrose Trading Post (also known as the Fairfax Flea Market). If you recall, I purchased a new coffee table and entry way buffet. Well, I am pleased to share with you my new and improved coffee table. Below you can find the before and after photos and a guide to revamping your own favorite pieces of furniture. 

After
Before -- $25 
 So, what do you think? I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. As you can see, after a good clean, I decided to keep the buffet yellow for now and I have used it as my TV stand. It works great to hide cords and other things no one wants to look at. 


For the coffee table I distressed the top using a hammer -- I hammered the sides and even used the hooks to make some indents on the top. From there I painted a couple of coats of grey paint. When the grey was dry, I brushed a light coat of white paint on the top and wiped it off before it could fully dry. This gives it the whitewash, distressed look. For a step by step guide to whitewash furniture you can read this article


I needed the cubbies for extra storage so I found the baskets and boxes at Ikea. The funny part is at only $7.99 a piece, the baskets still cost more than the table! With absolutely zero storage space in my loft, I created storage for remotes, office supplies and a lot of other stuff too. I then painted the outside of the table white, and kept the interior shelves black. I like the contrast of modern with a touch of shabby chic. Now all I need is a rug (and a refill on the candy jar!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...